Malaysian Perceptions

Somehow I always result to blogging after a while of studying, I'm really getting sick of studying, not that Ive been studying that much but i really dont know! Its like a problem, I dont remember what I read, I just read through but not understanding it and then I read back again. Its such a waste of time. pfft!!

Been reading articles lately which obviously attract more of my attention other than sitting down studying. Till tomorrow I'll be less bored and hopefully I'll be able to sit down and study once again when uni starts and when most friends come back to Oxford. That would be far less depressing from the state I am in now.

Ok, so back to the article, the race issue in Malaysia. Those residing in Malaysia or even those who knows abit of Malaysian politics would probably know that the ruling government Barisan National/Ruling Front consist of smaller party components: UMNO, MCA, MIC, PPP, Gerakan etc. Very often you listen to them saying that we strive for unity and have only one race: Malaysian ; then again ironically you have UMNO claiming they fight for Malay right, MCA fighting for chinese, so on and so forth. What do they really want to achieve at the end of the day?

The recent article by Raja Petra, somebody I look up to never fail to bring in the light. He was saying that we're all racist even though we might claim to have Malay, Indian, Chinese, Kadazan, Lun Bawang :P or any other race friends. In the first place, we should not call them Malays, Chinese etc since we claim to be one and to have only one race - Malaysian.

To be honest, that would make myself racist. Deep down, I am very sure almost every Malaysian is racist in a way or another. In fact I would blame the ruling government for this, with their racial segregation embedded in law, practises etc. On the other hand, I do not have problems with other race in fact I would proudly call them as being part of a big family. The few major reasons which keeps us wide apart is the upbringing of our family, and sometimes even education system. Whats the point of having Chinese school, Malay schools and Tamil schools when this would cause children to be seperated from children of other races when young. As a matter of fact, it would be easier to influence a young person's thinking compared to somebody way older.

The lack of understanding between races have placed us wide apart in terms of relationships. I have friends from another race and yes, we're really close but it is all because of us being tolerant and a strong understanding among each other have made the relationship work. The perception of some Chinese I'd say hate other races to their guts. Hey, this is sometimes not what they want, you call other race being racist towards you but as a matter of fact you are equally racist inside. I somehow dont understand why but we're equal, not all chinese are angels so on for other races.

The perception of other races being racist towards you should be changed and if only you make a change, it would also encourage others to follow along. Before the elections, I was telling some people how great it would be if the ruling government loses its 2/3 majority mandate some even replied that May 13 would recur. I had a totally different view, May 13 has happened close to 40 years ago and we Malaysians cant be that stupid to let it recur in which thankfully it didnt and I'm glad. Given the government losing 2/3, we should really appreciate this and perhaps even start all over. Leave everything unpleasant behind and look towards having a better future without racial issues, whilst given a fair play in every aspect as well as a real freedom of speech in which the government has claimed to give.


I'm sorry if the post bores you, I have my fair say and hopefully it brings about a change in how you view others. Malaysia is nevertheless a wonderful country to be in given that I've been in the UK for quite a while now, despite the flaws, we're still a new nation but one with bright future ahead.

0 comments: